Monday, September 29, 2014

Weather or not ...

I entered the Radio Shack store in Hyde Park with a purpose. My stride was quick, my eyes were wide. The clerk behind the counter immediately eyed me warily. Clearly, I was on a mission; clearly, he had seen my type before, as I would soon find out. In my hands was a National Weather Service weather radio, purchased lovingly by my wife for a birthday or Christmas or Father’s Day (can’t remember) many years ago. Being a Certified Weather Geek, it is one of my prized possessions. Each morning, I listen intently to this weather radio, while taking a shower (odd behavior, I know … but I’m not ashamed). I listen to the forecast, but also to the statistics – heating degree days, cooling degree days, severe weather advisories, stuff like that. It was through this weather radio that I learned of the NWS SkyWarn spotter training sessions, which has enabled me to be, in fact, a Certified Weather Geek. I have certificates to prove this.

Anyway! My weather radio had not been working for weeks. Static. Annoying static. No channels available. Distraught, and fearful that it was broken, I entered the Radio Shack. The guy was waiting for me. Clearly, I was the next in a long line of Weather Geeks to enter his store. He was ready. OK, he explained. A bolt of lightning struck the top of Illinois Mountain in Highland, disabling the transponder or whatever that sends the computer generated voice to weather radios throughout the mid-Hudson Valley. Nothing wrong with your radio, he told me. But! It might be months – MONTHS! – before the repairs are made, and the signal is up and running again.

I am persistent. I am stubborn. Each morning, I turn on the weather radio. Static. Annoying static. Sunday morning? Voila! The sweet sound of the computer generated robot voice, telling me that we are nine cooling degree days above normal for the year, there were no heating degree days on Saturday (when, in fact, there should be 7 heating degree days), and that Saturday’s high of 85 was a record for Poughkeepsie. Weather minutia, at its finest. My showers are now going to be longer and more informed. Weather Geeks of the Mid-Hudson Valley, rejoice! Our lifeline is back.

No comments: