Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Me, myself and Richard Neer

On most of our cross country and track trips during the fall, winter and spring, we travel via JTR Coach Bus and one van. The JTR busses have a capacity of 55 people. We usually travel with about 60 athletes, plus or minus a few. Do the math. We need the van. And I’m the van driver. Always, the van driver. I am not complaining about this. I’m not a great bus passenger; I can never get comfortable on there, and I’m usually complaining that it’s too cold. I’ve got my coffee. I’ve got my talk radio. I’m good.

About the talk radio. You see, back in the day, when Phil and I started this journey back in 1991, we rarely had busses. We almost always drove vans, to practices and to meets. So, these early morning Saturday van trips are something I have been doing for longer than our current athletes have been alive. These early morning van trips to meets are generally very quiet. With a few exceptions through the years, our passengers grab a bagel or a banana at a quick food stop, eat a little and sleep a lot. So, it’s just me and the road and some sleeping runners. However, I have had one constant companion on all these endless Saturday mornings behind the wheel of the van: Richard Neer.

Richard Neer is a legendary broadcaster. As a kid, I remember him as a rock n roll DJ on WNEW-FM, that iconic NYC rock station that our generation remembers so well. Since WFAN (sports talk radio) was founded in the late 1980s, Richard Neer has been the Saturday morning host – at least as long as I can remember. He is the perfect Saturday morning companion. He talks sports, and mixes in music and movies on occasion. Unlike most gasbags on the air, Neer is understated; he lets his callers make their usually inane comments without interrupting. He doesn’t yell or pontificate. He makes nuanced points. He sees shades of gray where others see black or white. I love that, and he has gotten me through thousands of those sleepy, early-morning miles on the way to meets.

So Saturday, on the way to Stony Brook, it was Richard Neer and me, as my athletes were splayed out and sleeping in the back. As always, he was great company, providing a slightly different slant on the loud chatter surrounding the Ray Rice Situation. He made me think, he made me laugh, and he made me stay awake on the LIE. Thank you, Richard Neer, for all the quality miles through the years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And hasn't a particular nighttime host on that same station helped you schmooze your way through your late-night treks in the van?