Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Slipping away

I'm still watching. As the New York Yankees season quietly slips away into irrelevance, my TV is still turned to Channel 70 or Channel 9 to watch them play. This is the definition of diehard fan. You die hard. They are not mathematically eliminated. Even if they were, I would still watch. It's habit, and it's my company. Soon enough, we will be in the cold, cold winter with no baseball to watch. So. I'm still watching.

This is the end for the most iconic player of our generation, Derek Jeter. I take special note to watch each of his at-bats, which more often than not end in weak ground outs. Some say that this is no way for The Captain to go out. That may be true, but I would say, "Why not?" Scripts don't always end prettily in real life. You don't always go out on top. In fact, that's rarely the case. The greatest of them all, Babe Ruth, ended his career and hit his last home run for ... the Boston Braves. Sometimes, you just fade away, and so it is with The Captain. I will miss watching No. 2 play, and I will miss the Yankees when the season mercifully comes to a halt up in Boston next Sunday. But rest assured, through it all, I'm still watching.

No comments: