Wednesday, December 19, 2012

One FLU over cuckoo's nest


OK! Well, I certainly am NOT going to go back and re-read the previous three posts, since they were written in a disease laden state. I just got back from the doctor. Verdict: Severe sinus infection AND the flu. Nicely done! The conversation with the friendly, bearded nurse practictioner went something like this.

FBNP: Soooooo … did you get a flu shot this year?
IDIOT COACH: Uh. No.
FBNP: Really? Have you ever HAD the flu?
IC: Yes.
FBNP: Did you ENJOY having the flu?
IC: No.
FBNP: Well. You won’t be needing the flu shot this year! Hahahahaha. You’ve got all the immunity you need now.

Great. Wonderful! But hey. Being a glass half-full guy, there are several positives to take out of having the flu now:
--No practice or meets, so I do not need to risk infecting our student-athletes.
--I can “work from home” … translation: Laptop on the couch while I am huddled under blankets and hoodies.
--Our kids got THEIR flu shots, so in theory they should be immune. We can only hope.
--God willing, although we’ve had illness in our house the past two weeks, no one else has had the flu. I would gladly take every illness from every one, any time. Better me than them! Any parent would agree with that.
--Remember that silly running streak I used to have? Well, no worries about huffing and puffing through a miserable mile with the flu. Been there, done that.

So, there are many blessings in the bad news. And again, any posts from the past few days … if they seem convoluted and error prone and poorly written … well, for once, I have a legitimate excuse! Pass the Lysol …

No comments: