Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Call me Youk

My favorite team, the New York Yankees, just made a curious free agent signing in agreeing to terms with Kevin Youkilis, the former Red Sox nemesis. On the rare occasions when former Sox stars become Yankees -- Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, etc. -- it is always odd for me. The Sox are the reviled enemies. Seeing Youk in pinstripes will be strange. I always disliked Youkilis because of his laundry, but respected the way he played. He is hard-nosed, gutty, a good on-base percentage guy. And he always seemed to get clutch hits against the Yankees.

Now he is on our side, and we'll root for him, as always. As it is, I've been thinking about Youkilis lately as I have sort of adopted his "look" -- thick goatee and not much (if any!) hair on the top of the head, especially after a trip to Sal the barber on Saturday. In honor of our new third baseman, I will continue to grow the goatee through the winter, especially since he probably will have to shave it due to the Yankees' silly no facial hair policy.

1 comment:

tcoulson said...

Sal RULES!

I hear you about rival players. I love when the Mets players don't come to Philly (Reyes to the Marlins comes to mind) - because then I am not in your dilema. However, getting your team better is always the best thing.