Saturday, July 7, 2012

Plugged in again


OK! We are back from our annual 10-day holiday in the Lake George area. The weather this year was blissfully hot. Hot is good, when you are in the Adirondacks and a cool lake is about 50 feet from your old cabin.

This is my one-and-only unplugged portion of the calendar year, as our cabin is essentially cut off from Internet access. Cell service was much better this year, enabling me to send and receive texts more readily than ever, but actual cell phone calls were not quite possible.

A funny thing happened in the middle of our week. We actually got a weak WiFi signal from the nearby cabin office – side note: we were given the password, we were NOT stealing it! When I say “weak,” think 14.4kbps dial-up modem weak (for those of you able to remember those prehistoric days of dial-up Internet, with that funny sounding squiggly fax machine-ish tone). And so, I was actually able to tidy up my email inbox for a few minutes, and Heidi was able to check/update Facebook.

But after one day and about a half hour of that, I tired quickly of the long waits to open and send emails. And so I went back to pre-prehistoric times and unplugged once more. And I did not feel guilty about it at all!

As I mentioned in previous post-vacation posts, I rediscovered the joy of reading actual newspapers. And once again, I realize how excellent a newspaper the New York Times is, in print. 

Anyway, in the blogosphere, no posts for almost 2 weeks is not a good idea. And so I hope I still have some readers out there. I will try to keep the action coming as best as possible for midsummer.

Back to the live action soon: Marist Running will be well represented at the Boilermaker 15k in Utica on Sunday. And the beat goes on …  

No comments: