Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Hall of a nice guy …


If you are looking for someone to root for in the upcoming Olympic Games, I would like to humbly submit that it would be American marathon hopeful Ryan Hall. If you have not already done so, please read this linked article that was published last week in the NewYork Times.

While some of the religious/running stuff may seem kooky to some of you, one thing cannot be denied: Hall is genuine about this stuff. Also, I just got his wonderful biography entitled “Running With Joy” out of the public library yesterday. After one sitting, I am already through 50 pages of it (not bad for me, as I am a notoriously slow reader, routinely nodding off after about a dozen pages). I will review the book once I complete it, but so far I am enjoying it immensely. I would strongly recommend it to any competitive runner, as it gives a glimpse into the life of an elite level athlete’s training regimen.

There is a lot about Hall’s religious beliefs throughout pretty much every sentence of the book so far. But again, he comes across as 100 percent genuine with this stuff. He seems like a truly “nice guy.” Hopefully, in the case of the upcoming London Olympic Games, nice guys will finish in first (or, at least, in the top 3?).

No comments: