Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap of faith

Today is Leap Day, Feb. 29. Happens only every four years. The day really has no significance other than to lengthen the already moribund month of February.

However, Leap Day holds some small significance for me in that two of my nearly 50 marathons were run on Feb. 29.

In 1992, I did the Cowtown Marathon in Fort Worth, Texas. While it was not my fastest race, it may have been my best in that I earned a cool age-group trophy (in the highly unusual 22-27 division!) on an 85-degree Texas day, and qualified for that year’s Boston Marathon in the process.

In 2004, I traveled with Phil Kelly and his son-in-law to do the Parking Lot Marathon (aka Hudson Mohawk Winter Marathon) in Albany. I got third in my age group there and won a loaf of bread. Not making that up!

There are no marathons for me today on this Leap Wednesday. Only a wish that this late winter snow will melt quickly, and the comforting thought that March starts tomorrow.

No comments: