Thursday, May 5, 2011

Let's go Mets!

Thanks to Mr. Paulson (DJ’s dad) for his kind words on my previous post “Where were you when …”

In an offering of an olive branch to my Mets’ brethren out there … please let it be known that, although I am a Yankee fan, I like the Mets too and will openly root for them – except in the interleague Subway Series games, of course.

Mr. Paulson, a Marist alum, shared his memory of where he was when the Amazins shocked the world and won the 1969 World Series.

“I was in Donnelly Hall when the Mets won the World Series in 1969,’’ Mr. Paulson wrote in an email. “I was watching it on a TV set up in the hallway right outside of what was then the library. The World Series was played in the afternoon back in the day. Thanks for letting me remember this memory.’’

Any time, my old friend.

And just so you know, one of my fondest baseball memories from growing up was sneaking a radio into freshman high school English so that I could hear the first few innings of the 1978 one-game playoff for the AL East between the Yankees and the Red Sox.

For those Red Sox fans keeping score at home, the Yankees won that game. You might remember some shortstop named Bucky Dent … if you are from Red Sox Nation, Mr. Dent was christened with an impromptu middle name based on his improbable heroics on that fine October day.

No comments: