Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bloomington on foot

With help and a little direction from my old college roommate, Sacred Heart University track coach Christian Morrison, I set out this morning to check out Bloomington, Indiana, on my morning jog.

Christian gave me pointers on which streets to take to see the downtown. It’s a nice downtown, a small city with a college-town flavor. About 21 minutes into the jog, though, I saw some pretty incredible devastation from one of the severe storms, funnel clouds or whatever that ripped through this area. There was one small park, called Seminary Park, that was totally ravaged by tree limbs.

On the way back, through the outskirts of the IU campus, I saw some more devastation in the form of huge trees totally uprooted, branches and limbs everywhere – including on top of cars and into the side of buildings. Wow. It’s nowhere near the devastation in Oklahoma and Missouri, but it’s still pretty powerful stuff.

The forecast for the rest of today is calling for on and off thunderstorms and the temperatures getting a bit cooler. Will Griffin’s race is scheduled to go off at 9:15 p.m., but that could change based on severe weather. We will see how that turns out.

Looking forward to seeing Marist alum Sean Hopkins, who texted me that he is in town with the West Virginia women’s track team.

No comments: