Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Snow and grades

Hello and I hope all is well with everyone. I have been in holiday mode and not blog mode, and it probably will stay that way till after the New Year, at which time you can expect the usual flurry of posts about Marist Running and beyond.

Anyway …

Depending on where you are out in the blogosphere, you got a little snow, a lot of snow or somewhere in between after that powerful Nor’easter that packed quite a wallop. Or, if your name is Billy Hild and you are a Giants' football fan, you were stuck in Green Bay after that white-flag of a loss and forced to drive through the barren Midwest to get home. But that's another story ...

I was visiting family in northern New Jersey, where we got 21 inches. My brother, who lives a little east of where we were, near Newark, reported 31 (!) inches in his front yard. Most folks got about a foot.

It is what it is. It’s winter; it snows; you deal with it. Actually, after the post-storm winds died down, the rest of this week looks nice. I just went out to the mailbox; the sun is out, the snow is melting and it feels downright warm. So this storm should have little to no impact on training for the foreseeable future.

And that’s good news.

The other night while having dinner with my family in New Jersey, my cell phone was buzzing in my pocket. In the span of about 15 minutes, I received 4 rapid-fire texts from excited team members announcing they had gotten a 4.0 GPA for the semester or pretty darn close to a 4.0 GPA. Rules and regulations do not allow me to brag about the specific athletes who garnered the straight-A grades, but I am proud of you all nonetheless.

Nicely done all around!

Keep training hard in the slush, muck and melting snow. If you train in the middle of the day, when the sun is high in the sky, ice will not be an issue (pre-dawn morons like me have to deal with black ice and the like).

And if you have not updated me on your grades, feel free to text me with the good news!

No comments: