Monday, December 13, 2010

Colin Johnson: Racing in Shanghai




It might not be the record for furthest away from Poughkeepsie racing with a Marist Alumni Racing Team singlet, but 2010 grad Colin Johnson sure gets bonus points for spreading the name of Marist Running to faraway places.

Here is Colin's race report, sent via e-mail ...

Hey Pete,

So I ran the Shanghai International Half Marathon last weekend. The race didn't go exactly as planned. For starters, I was so far away from the starting line that it took me eight minutes from the start of the race just to reach it. After that it was pretty much bumper to bumper traffic for the first 10k.

Once I got some room to run I tried to make up for lost time, and had a pretty decent negative split for the last half of the race, but I still ended up running 1:26. All things considered not too bad, but I felt like I was in shape for 1:17-1:18, so it was a bit of a let down. Given better conditions, I know I would have been able to go sub 1:20 but oh well, there,s always another race!

There's a marathon on the Great Wall in May, which I have been thinking about entering!

I think this is probably a close second to the longest distance from New York that the Alumni Racing singlet has made an appearance. Joe T's race in Australia is definitely a bit further!

I sent you a picture of me post race, with the medal and singlet of course, and some women I met before the race! (Editor's note: NICELY DONE!) Also, another one with a random Chinese guy who stopped us to take a picture with him. That's pretty common here; the Chinese love to pose with pictures of foreigners ... haha its a little weird.

I hope all is well Pete. If I don't talk to you before the holidays then have a great Christmas/New Year!

Colin

No comments: