Monday, December 13, 2010

Flipper feet

Forgot to post this last week when it was fresh material, but here goes anyway ...

Leave it to fifth-year senior Conor Shelley to exasperate me with yet another "great idea" from the Conor files.

Last week, the stressed-out Conor -- who continues to plug away at his massive Capping Project -- took a little break from his studies to do a workout at the McCann Track.

Conor's Bright Idea For The Day: In order to mimic the barefoot running he so loves during his summers lifeguarding at the beach on Long Island, our guy decided to warm up and cool down from his workout in swim shoes. You know, the kind that middle-aged schmoes like me wear while on vacation in Lake George.

Swim shoes.

And remember, Conor has flipper feet to start with, size 14 or 15, depending on the model he buys.

Flop, flop, flop, flop ... those swimmy shoes slapped their way across the ancient floor in the McCann Arena for 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after his fancy workout.

Our conversation before he flopped around was comical. I expressed my displeasure with the idea, if only to make sure that the rest of the possibly impressionable team didn't think I thought it was a GOOD IDEA.

In truth, I was pretty neutral on the whole thing. While it was silly, it was most likely harmless. He switched over to his trusty Nike Frees for the workout. I would have, uh, put my foot down if Conor decided to flop his way through the workout in my vacation footwear.

I guess you could say this barefoot running idea has gained some "traction" for Conor in the McCann Center.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. That one was for you, Krupka!

No comments: