Thursday, November 18, 2010

Potter mania

The new Harry Potter movie debuts tonight. This is a BIG DEAL for many people, including many members of the Marist Running Family. I had no idea what a big deal this is. Until today.

Remember that I am a total pop-culture illiterate. I don't watch movies. Other than baseball and weather, I do not watch TV. In the car, I listen to NPR and sports talk -- not necessarily in that order. (By the way, don't even GET ME STARTED on the AL Cy Young Award winner announcement today ... but that's another story!)

This new Harry Potter movie is also a BIG DEAL in my house. On Friday night, my wife and two older kids are going to see the new movie in the theater. James (the youngest) and I are staying home, hosting a bunch of men's cross country runners/video game enthusiasts that you might know, for a night of pizza and Mario Kart. James will be thrilled to be surrounded by a bunch of overgrown children with whom he can play.

Tonight, as I type this, we are hosting a mini-Harry Potter party in our den. Along with our children, we have several neighborhood kids and friends over to watch the sixth (I think?) HP movie -- the most recent one before the new one -- as a primer for the Big Night at the Movies tomorrow night.

The quest for this HP movie basically consumed me during practice time today. Sophomore Billy Posch, a huge Potter fan, said he had the movie we needed. Great! He brought it down to practice on Wednesday. However, upon further investigation, all he had was Disc 2 -- you know, out-take, special effects, and the like. Not good.

And then, as I was teaching class this morning, the alarming text from Posch came: "Pete having a little prblem cant find the movie ill keep looking though."

Immediately, panic set in. What to do? We have a mini-Potter Party planned in the den ... and no movie! What, am I gonna put in my Yankeeography DVDs? Sure, that would go over great with the kids!

Posch kept looking. Word spread around the men's and women's teams. Urgent, urgent, coach Pete needs Harry Potter DVD. Texts were exchanged. Rooms were searched. Fortunately, a "friend of Andrew James" came through with a somewhat sketchy version of the video. Good enough, bro! We are about 40 minutes into it, and everyone is happy.

Final note: I am not mad at Posch. In fact, I am touched (but not surprised) but his incredible kindness. After failing to come up with the elusive movie, Billy offered to go to Blockbuster and rent it for us! A sweet sentiment, a generous offer, that will not be forgotten.

And now ... back to ignoring the movie and stewing over the AL Cy Young Award ...

1 comment:

Paul said...

Pete:

You may not be a pop culture maven, but I have one question: "You play track?"

:)

Inside joke from a former Marist teammate, for those who are scratching their heads.