Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dinner with a coach

Friday was a pretty hectic day of travel.

After a romper-room like ride with the team from Marist to the park, they ran the course. And then it was time to take them to our hotel, which was nowhere near the course. We hit New Haven at rush hour (swell). I dropped off the team and then had to head right back out into rush hour traffic for the mandatory coaches meeting.

After the meeting, I was sitting in my van, answering text messages before driving back to the hotel. Christian Morrison, the Sacred Heart coach, was in another van and saw what I was doing. He invited me to dinner. It dawned on me that I was starving.

Christian was my college roommate for 3 years at Marist. We see each other often at meets, but we are usually busy attending to our teams. We talk at meets, but it's usually in passing. It was great to catch up with him in a quiet setting, over some NE clam chowder.

By the time I got back to the hotel, it was pretty late and it had been a long day. But at least the weather for today's meet looks pretty nice.

No comments: