Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Shout-out to Schanz

Freshman Will "Never At A Loss For Words" Schanz texted me after my post earlier in the day about today's workout, pointing out -- ACCURATELY, I MIGHT ADD -- that it was HIS idea to do 400-meter repeats today. He had suggested it a few days ago.

Suggesting quarters to me is kind of like saying, "Hey coach, I've got a Dr Pepper and some fries over here, want some? For free?" I love quarters, and feel they are an excellent, all-purpose workout.

Despite his many quirks, Schanz often comes up with excellent workout suggestions and feedback. In fact, his suggested fartlek workout earlier in the winter was so good (admittedly, it is very similar to long-time fartleks I have come up with) that I have taken to naming it "The Schanz."

For the record, The Schanz consists of 5 minutes hard, 4 minutes easy, 3 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy, 1 minute hard. Pretty simple and efficient. For those daring and brave enough, two sets of the 5-3-1 with full recovery between has been dubbed (by me, of course) as "The Schanzinator."

Nice.

By the way, Schanz is running the 10k at Vassar next week. Given his penchant for highly dramatic (and tough) races, 25 laps of Will Schanz could amount to a mini-series or a twisted reality show with no commercials.

Again, thanks for the continued input. Makes the process fun, which is half the battle.

No comments: