Thursday, April 15, 2010

Save the date: Red Fox Trot 5km

I know it is well in advance, but I wanted to share with you the exciting news of a 5km road race on the Marist College campus.

On Saturday, September 11, the inaugural Red Fox Trot 5K will be held. The race will start and finish at the Boathouse at Longview Park along the beautiful Hudson River shoreline.

The idea for the race comes from the Red Fox Club, the booster club for all Marist Athletics and certainly a friend to the track and field program over the years. The Red Fox Club has donated thousands of dollars to the track teams to fund uniform purchases in the past.

Anyway, some members of the Red Fox Club approached me with the idea of a road race, and this is what we have planned. The race director will be Red Fox Club member Eileen Sylvia, a longtime member of the local running community.

I have mapped out an out-and-back course that starts and finishes down by the boathouse. I think it's a pretty good course; it will be challenging and it will encompass the entire Marist campus -- including a loop around Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field.

I would love for us to have a strong alumni presence at this event, and I hope you all will consider planning your schedule accordingly to be around campus on that weekend. There are also tentative plans for a Marist XC/Track Alumni Reception down at the recently restored boathouse, which is really pretty cool. All Marist alums of the program -- track and xc -- are welcome, whether or not you run the Fox Trot (Side note: Yes. Of course I came up with the name! It's an obvious pun that could not have been passed up; my original idea was "Fox Trot" but the club wanted "Red Fox Trot", which is fine with me)

There will be many updates and reminders here at Blog Central and via email and maybe even Facebook over the coming months. For now, try to keep Saturday, September 11 open for the Red Fox Trot.

Busy weekend of (probably wet) racing, will try to update when I can along the way ...

No comments: