Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pool club quote

Well, well. I guess summer's officially over around these parts.

Who stopped by the office today to announce that the Fall 2009 semester has officially begun? The ultimate BRO: Curtis Jensen. He's now a sophomore. But don't be fooled. He's still Curt.

He arrived in town yesterday to try to spruce up Sunset. Good luck with THAT, bro. Sounds like he painted his room some hideous shade of green. Should be interesting.

Anyway, it was great to see Curt, and it really does feel like summer is winding down as other Marist fall sports teams are here for preseason. We'll be back soon enough.

Earlier this summer, at the pool club that we bring the kids most days, I noticed the club's swim team was posting motivational quotes on the wall as they neared their big summer championship meet. Although my kids are not on the Stingrays team, I felt the need to contribute a quote to the wall.

"Run, Rehydrate, Run Some More" really doesn't get it done for a bunch of age-group swimmers.

But I did remember a really good quote from a marathoner that I really liked, respected and rooted for back in the day. Juma Ikangaa was a tiny marathoner from Tanzania, but boy was he tough as nails and consistent. Look him up, and you'll see what I mean. Anyway, he had a quote that epitomized his philosophy toward his sport. I love it, and I share it with you here.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare."

Fantastic, huh?

I'm thinking of posting this quote outside my office. What do you guys think?

OK. See you all in a few days.

3 comments:

keenan said...

i think you should make a new poll, maybe a selection of quotes and the winner gets posted outside your office. i know, im a genius.

Tim Keegan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim Keegan said...

I like Keenan's idea. Here are some that I like:

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt(have found it to be very profound this summer)

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win."
-Ed Macauley(gets me off my ass and out the door on days I'd rather not run)

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
-Lance Armstrong (knowing this helps me get through that last half of the race)

"People can't understand why a man runs. They don't see any sport in it, argue that it lacks the sight-thrill of body contact, the color of rough conflict. Yet the conflict is there, more raw and challenging than any man versus man competition. In track it is man against himself, the cruelest of all opponents. The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversary lies deep within him, in his ability, with brain and heart, to control and master himself and his emotions." -Glenn Cunningham (what is so great about our sport)