Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First day of practice

It was a warm but bearable day at Ogden Mills for the opening hills practice. It was also quite crowded as both teams boast huge squads. This is great to see, of course, but it makes travel to off-campus sites a logistical challenge. We'll figure it out each day.

Both teams looked good and got through it fine, another solid start to a season.

It dawned on me during the warmup that I've been doing this for a long time. Vess likes to call me "Old Man" and when you think of this, the resident wiseass might be on to something:

Most of this year's freshmen were born in 1991. The year I started coaching. In fact, a few of them were born in late August of 1991, and it's entirely possible that their birth day (the actual day they were born) I was up at Ogden Mills, coaching the Marist cross country team that they are now a part of, through the exact same workout that they just completed. I'm not sure what that means, but it sure makes me stop and think as I start my 19th year with the program.

Off to Minnewaska this morning for the first of two forays to one of the world's best running venues.

No comments: