Tuesday, August 4, 2015

New book: Savor it

Filip Bondy, sports columnist extraordinaire for the New York Daily News, has a brand new book out. It’s called the “Pine Tar Game,” and it’s about – you guessed it! – the Pine Tar Game involving George Brett, Goose Gossage, Billy Martin, the Kansas City Royals, the New York Yankees and the whole wild 1970s/1980s era of baseball that I grew up watching. The story of the Pine Tar Game is good enough; Bondy makes it even better with his descriptive, colorful writing.

As is my custom, I ordered the book through my local public library. Usually with new books, there is a long waiting period. But for this book, I was able to get it within a week of my request. And, as an added surprise and bonus, the local library system gave me the standard three-week period to keep the book; at times, with new books, you are only granted one week – a lot of pressure to read a book in such a short timeframe, especially if you have a penchant to fall asleep while reading after 10 pages or so. This was not a long book. It was a great, easy read and I knew I wouldn’t require the entire three weeks to read it. So, when the lady at the library saw my reaction to the timeframe of it, she said, “Good, glad you are happy; SAVOR IT.”


And savor it I did; every word and every chapter. A great read. I highly recommend it. Maybe you can even buy it. OK!   

No comments: