Saturday, February 16, 2013

Noise.

I woke up this morning abruptly after five hours' sleep with a scratchy throat and a tired body, which had been up for nearly 22 hours before the five-hour nap (up at 5 a.m., as usual, on Friday; not to bed till about 3 a.m. today). Time waits for no one, and the morning after the long night at the Armory featured a trip to the bowling alley for my son James' regular league play, followed by a trip to Arlington High School for my daughter's big cheerleading competition (more on THAT in a little bit).

By the time I made it to early afternoon, my psyche had been shell-shocked by a nearly constant barrage of NOISE. For those who are not aware, the Armory -- a wonderful track venue -- is very LOUD. There is incessant MUSIC (yes, with Capital Letters), which makes energetic coaching (you know, yelling out splits and stuff ...) very challenging and requiring a coach like me to SCREAM OVER THE NOISE. Coupled with the fact that it was like 80 degrees in that building, and it was a draining night. Thus, the scratchy throat.

Fast forward to post-bowling (James bowled two games of 73, well above his average, NICELY DONE!) and the Cheerleading Competition. Have you ever been to a Cheerleading Competition? Well. OK. Let's assume you have not. Let me tell you: It is LOUD. There are a lot of shrieking young ladies. But there is also a DJ, bumping music very loudly. Did I mention that it was LOUD? So yeah. My auditory faculties have worked overtime, along with the rest of my body.

Working on the MAAC splits now, check back soon ...

No comments: