Thursday, January 3, 2013

Playin' hooky with Honest Abe


Wednesday was the official “return to normalcy” in the world as most school-aged children returned to school after the long holiday break. Since our practice/meet routine does not resume in earnest until next week, we were able to extend our holiday break by one more day. Heidi and I “played hooky” from real life and went to the early (and I mean EARLY, 11:20 a.m.!) showing of the new movie “Lincoln.”

Understand that I am somewhat of a history fan, and Abraham Lincoln might be my favorite historical figure. So this was a much anticipated movie event for me. It did not disappoint. Daniel Day-Lewis did perhaps the best job of character acting I have ever witnessed in playing Lincoln. You really felt like it was 1865 and the stooped-over president was telling long-winded stories to you on the big screen. A surprise highlight was the superb performance by Tommy Lee Jones, who was excellent in playing the irascible but progressive-ahead-of-his-time Thaddeus Stevens. I found myself wanting the movie to go on forever. It was not a “war” movie or an “action-packed thriller.” But, for me anyway, it was well worth spending several midday hours in the middle of winter. Perhaps during spring break or when track season is over, we will have another matinee date. I look forward to it.

No comments: