Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Serious moonlight

There are many times that I whine about my early-morning jogging habit.

There is very little that is enjoyable about dragging yourself out of bed at 5:08 a.m., to meet my pre-dawn pals for some slow miles. Especially in the dark of winter. Especially with my creaky knees barkin’ at me every day.

But on Monday, as I ventured out the door to meet Artie for our usual slow amble through the Hyde Park neighborhood, we had a truly special morning.

There was a bright, full moon on a clear and cloudless morning. The moon was so bright, you could have sat there on the street and read a book.

We wandered over to the Vanderbilt Mansion grounds and it was truly stunning. The moon cast long shadows on the pavement. The reflection off the Hudson River was breathtaking. We jogged down to Bard Rock to see the moonlight shimmer off the river, which should be frozen at this time of year but is not this year.

Artie said it was “almost romantic,” and I had to agree.

Fast Tony mentioned this morning that he’s meeting some friends tonight for an evening run under the moon to take advantage of it for one last day before the foul weather comes in.

Under the moonlight. The serious moonlight.

No comments: