Monday, September 5, 2011

A little help from an old friend

This morning, I ran in the Mad Dash 10km road race in Rhinebeck. It was the first time in many years that I had run in the 10km up there; it’s a great race – although, I must ask: What’s with the shocking pink race T-shirts?

It was a warm and humid morning and I ran as hard as I could. Along the way, I received special support from our old pal David Raucci (class of 2010). David was up there jogging around and cheering for the Red Hook High School team. David went to Red Hook and remains close to his old school.

He caught up to this old guy at around 2 miles. He was a true sweetheart out there on the roads. He attempted to block the wind for me – a nice gesture, but his running in front of me made my already red-line pace creep up that much faster! He fetched water for me to dump on my head. He quietly encouraged me to keep going, and even tried to push me uphill – literally – with a hand to my back.

Holy heck! Good thing I’m not fast. David was inadvertently breaking all sorts of racing rules out there, huh? No worries. I was not quite in contention for age-group awards. It was great to see him, and great to have him share strides with me for a little more than 40 minutes. He is planning his fall marathon racing schedule, and it is our hope he will be sporting the red-and-white of the Marist Alumni Racing Team.

If you are interested in today’s races, results can be found at www.coolrunning.com.

No comments: