Saturday, September 17, 2011

CT sighting!

When you get to my age and this stage of my coaching career, surprises are few and far between. And so it was that I nearly jumped out of my Asics this morning at a chilly, pre-meet Van Cortlandt Park when I saw none other than 2007 Marist Running Alum Matt Syzmaszek (wild guess, but I bet I misspelled his name again, like I did for the four years he was here!).

Anyway, CT – as he was known back then and remains known to this day by his Marist Running brethren – was in town with his girlfriend and they stopped by to cheer on the current Running Red Foxes … none of whom CT knew personally nor ran with.

My, how time flies. There was Duggan, the newest member of the Marist Alumni Racing Team, ready to race Vanny for the first time as a 2011 alum. I pointed Duggan out to CT … you knew him, right? Uh, sorry, Pete. Duggan entered Marist in the fall of 2007, mere months after CT left Poughkeepsie and embarked on his long and noble post-Marist path.

CT is more than halfway through his medical school journey. I was not aware that he is no longer based in Erie, PA. Rather, he is a med student nomad, doing different stints in different places. Alas, what comes around goes around. CT is back in, well … CT! His nickname from back in the day was derived from the fact that he was, at the time, the only team member from Connecticut. I know. Very original of us.

Anyway, it was so great to see him – like a long-lost family member. He remains fit and trim and running strong, despite the rigors of his studies. We remain very proud of him and we are glad he was able to see at least part of the current Running Red Fox brigade. Hope to see you again soon.

No comments: