Saturday, June 25, 2011

Junior Nationals and the movies

It has been a fine tradition, since Phil and I took two athletes to Denton, Texas, back in 2000, that a good way to kill time in faraway places on these USATF Junior trips is to go to the movies.

Back in 2000, Phil and I took in a matinee in Denton (some Jim Carrey flick, I honestly do not remember) while waiting for our athletes to compete. That started it all.

Fast forward to 2008 in Columbus, where I had Vess, Webster and Keegan for probably the longest Junior Nationals trip since they were in three separate races on three separate days. Lots of time to kill, in a college town, in the middle of the summer.

We went to the movie theaters one afternoon and faced a dilemma. Well, it was no dilemma for the men I was with: They absolutely, no way/no how, did NOT want to see the new (at the time) “Sex and the City” movie. Me? I had never seen the show, but I was intrigued because several of my wife’s friends (yes, all female) had seen the new movie and had liked it. I figured what better time to check it out?

Oh boy. The battle lines were drawn, with the refrain coming from the men: “Pete. Come on! You can’t see it! You won’t see it.” Of course, I did see it, while they went to some manly movie. For the remainder of their wonderful college career they (well, Vess really) never, ever let me live that one little decision down.

Three years later, I guess I did not learn my lesson. Last night in Eugene, the three of us went to see another “chick flick’’ – this one called “Something Borrowed.” It was an endless tale of romance and we were all mostly relieved when it was over.

I do remember two years ago in Eugene going to the movies with Chuck, Flint and Kathryn Sheehan. I honestly do not remember what we saw.

The point is: On these trips, often there is much down time to kill. And movies make a good way to pass the endless hours in faraway places.

No comments: