Friday, February 12, 2010

Prinz shows off his wheels

The cell phone rang at about 10:30 last night. It was charging, I was snoozing, and I did not bother to get it.

When I got up at 5:30 am for my morning jog, I checked the message. It was from "Matty Collins" and he was reporting on the Alumni Challenge down at the Armory ... right after they got off the track and before they even cooled down. I was glad to get the following report from "Matty":

"Prinz got me with 200 meters to go, he closed with a 28, smoked me." Prinz ran 9:37 (impressive!) and "Matty" ran 9:47 (equally impressive!), although he admitted to dying on the last lap. This may have been due to an unusually aggressive first 1600 meters in 4:44. As he said: "I changed my normal racing tactics and felt what it was like to hurt." Indeed. Still, an excellent effort from both men.

What about Schabby? He was in the second section and finished in 10:28, which is about right for a tapering marathoner. Nicely done, Schab.

"Matty" concluded the call and said it was time for the Old Men of Red to go cooldown in the late night. Would have been fun to have been there with the guys, but I was happy with the report just the same.

We are off to Boston in a bit for the Valentine meet. The women's bus just departed and their meet is today. The men's bus departs later this afternoon and they all run on Saturday.

Check back later in the weekend for updates and splits.

1 comment:

Sean T. McMann said...

Good luck to the Red Foxes up in Boston this weekend!