Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why Mitch Albom matters

Editor's note: I wrote (and posted) this originally for my other blog, Daddy Diary. I thought readers of this blog might find it interesting as well. I hope so. If not, sorry. Back to the regular programming soon ...

The moments were separated by more than 11 years. In both cases, they were accidental, unintended – and most likely long-lasting – gifts of grace for the soul.

-- The first moment was in March of 1998. This was, as Aunt Betsy would say, B.C. (Before Children). We were in a restaurant celebrating my wife’s 30th birthday. It’s her favorite restaurant. Great ribs, even better salad bar. Micro-brewed beer. Sweet.

Along with the fine fare, there were gifts to open. One was a book. To my wife, from her mom. I squealed in delight when I saw who the author was.

“Mitch!” I exclaimed to the now startled table.

Usually, grown men don’t get so excited about things such as new books. But when I saw the author of this book was Mitch Albom, I could not contain myself. Mitch was my favorite sports columnist; he writes for the Detroit Free Press. As a young writer and copy editor at Dutchess County’s Finest Daily Newspaper back in the mid-1980s, I used to excitedly wait for his latest columns to appear on the wire (this was pre-Internet, my friends; I know, hard to fathom). Other editors were on to my habit: “Hey Pete, the new Mitch column is in.” Soon, I had the whole department hooked on Mitch Albom.

In my opinion, Mitch was (and is) an excellent reporter, a great writer -- insightful, witty, fantastic. I devoured his stuff, secretly hoping to be half as good as he was.

Anyway, back to the book from 1998. “Tuesdays With Morrie.” A true story. I read the jacket notes and I was confused. Hey. This isn’t a sports book. Not at all. But heck, it’s Mitch; gotta read Mitch.

The first time I read “Tuesdays With Morrie,” I was on a bus trip to Virginia with my track team. I sat in the way back (usually, I’m up front). I held the book up in front of my face so my team members wouldn’t see the tears slowly dripping from my eyes. I read the book as slowly as possible, so I could savor every word. It was quite possibly the best, most meaningful book I had read to that point in my life.

I have since re-read the book several times. I have also given the book as a gift on more than one occasion. One year, I gave the book as a gift to four runners from my track graduating class. When they got the book from me, all were incredulous. Why would a handful of cocky, 22-year-old men want to read a book about an old college professor dying from Lou Gehrig’s Disease? “Coach,’’ they seemed to say to me, “what’s this about? Why us?’’ Humor me, I told them. Read it, I implored them.

The truth is, I loved those guys, and I really felt this was a way for me to show that affection. Later that summer, word trickled back from these rough and tough runner boys. They loved it. Thanks so much, Coach. I cried. It moved me. Ha! I got to them. Just like the book got to me. Have you read “Tuesdays With Morrie”? No? Please. Do yourself a favor. Read it. Savor it. Read it again. It’s a book about life and love, and the lessons never end.

-- The second moment just happened a couple weeks ago. Christmas Morning, 2009. Definitely A.C. (After Children), as they were the center of attention and enjoyment on this great day. More than 11 years later, so much in our lives have changed. But not a mother’s love and caring for her daughter. Another gift from mother to daughter. Another book. Another Mitch book!

While I did not squeal in delight this time outwardly, inwardly I was equally pleased as that early spring day long ago, B.C. “Have A Little Faith,” this book was called. Another true story, this after Mitch made a wildly successful foray into fiction during the past decade. As an aside, I loved his novels as well; but, I have a strong preference toward non-fiction, so I was pumped up for this new book.

This book takes a similar path to “Morrie,” but it has a little added depth in that it deals head-on with religion and the spiritual world. Without giving too much of the story, basically Mitch is asked by his old rabbi to give the eulogy at his funeral. The interesting thing was the old rabbi was alive and well, and ended up living nearly a decade after this request.

Again, this is just a glimpse of the story. There is a lot more to it. In this book, even more so than “Morrie,” you’ll get to see Mitch’s excellent reporting skills. His writing style is deceptively simple, which makes this a quick read. I powered through it in less than two days. And I will definitely re-read this book.

Much like “Morrie,” this book might move you in ways that will surprise you. I strongly encourage your buying both books and/or taking them out from your local public library. You will not be sorry. You may remember these books for a long time.

Disclaimer: I do not know Mitch Albom. Never met him. Never talked to him. He’s famous, for heaven sake! I’m just a huge fan, is all. I will not benefit in any way from shamelessly promoting his work – other than, perhaps, by helping to enrich your lives for a few fleeting minutes. Or maybe more.

2 comments:

Schabby said...

Just bought the book online...hoping for good things Pete...cya on Friday

Colleen said...

hey pete,
this postgotmeto reread tuesdays with morrie again...its been better so far this timearound.. thanks