Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Death of a coach

Most readers of this blog did not know Steve Lurie, who passed away earlier this month in Arizona. Steve was the Marist running coach back in the mid-1980s, when I was a runner at Marist. He was my coach for the final three years of my college career (1983-1986).

I am writing a personal remembrance of Steve and I will post the link, or the entire remembrance here, when I am done with it.

Steve was a unique character, to say the least. I got along with him well, but the same cannot be said of some of my teammates. We probably had more in common away from the coach-athlete relationship in that he had a long and distinguished journalism/writing career, and he had an influence on the early part of my journalism career.

While his tenure at Marist can best be described as rocky, as I said in an email message yesterday, Steve's passion for the sport to the end cannot be questioned. Some of you younger blog followers might recognize the name because Steve wrote articles for dyestat.com in recent years.

Anyway, as I said, a longer remembrance will follow soon. RIP, Steve.

No comments: