Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Kirk at NYC


Kirk Dornton (Class of 2004) had a strong run at the NYC Marathon on Sunday (2:39:33). Kirk went for broke, trying to break the 2:30 barrier. He went through 13.1 in 1:14:07 and obviously hit the wall hard in the final few miles.

Kirk placed 124th overall, 111th in the men's field and 44th in his age group. He was well within the top 100 in the field before his pace slowed over the final 4 miles or so. It's a marathon. It happens.

Kirkles stopped by McCann on Monday afternoon. He was a little stiff-legged, but was in good spirits. He went for it and it didn't work out. Good for him. After his strong run at NYC in 2007, he made the determination that if he was racing, he was going to do all he could to bust out a sub-2:30. I like the attitude. He's fired up for another sub-2:30 try in the spring of 2009 at a race to be determined (we have an idea, but it's not 100 percent confirmed).

Anyway, the following photo of Kirkles (I'm guessing in the latter stages of the race) was sent to me by Mid-Hudson Road Runners Club member Bob Kopac.

6 comments:

rolek said...

Nice race Kirk. I love the mindset. You might as well go from the gun because one day it is going to feel easy. Can't wait for that sub-2:30.

Chris Camp said...

one of the main reasons I live in NYC is for the mere fact I get to wake up once a year and watch Kirk run this race. It's always great seein' him out there. Although... next year. Next year, I'll be trailing him from far far behind.

matt walsh said...

Kirk has redefined everything for me. Music, running, friendship. And now: my definition of the word "fashion plate."

Chris Camp said...

I'm not sure I approve of his use of arm warmers

matt walsh said...

Then you're not going to approve of me at Philly

Rick A said...

Technically those warmers are just socks, CC.

It was a lot of fun yelling at him in the race. I have some so-so pictures and a really terrible video. Good times. Well done Kirk.