Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Birthday beverage

Sophomore Joe Miller turns 20 today. He celebrated with his teammates and friends with a spirited track workout at Vassar on a gloriously sunny, 60-degree day. It's one of those days where I have to laugh out loud that I actually get PAID to do what I'm doing. I mean, really! So very nice. We had to pinch ourselves as a reminder that it was MARCH 8 and not MAY 8. We'll take it.

We had some great workouts there today. Joe's group was set to do 20x400 (2 sets of 10) -- perfect symmetry for his birthday, right? -- but this old coach couldn't resist going the extra mile (almost literally). We added a "bonus" set of 4x400, for a grand total of 24x400 for the Birthday Boy, along with Rizzo, Saad and Palmer. On a day like this, I feel like I could have asked them to do another 10 and they would have kept cranking them out.

Conveniently, we stopped at the 7-Eleven after the workout so Joe and his van-mates could get a birthday Slurpee -- a well-earned birthday beverage after a hard-earned workout at the track. Here's to many more 400s, Slurpees and birthdays for Joe and the rest of the boys. Nicely done!

No comments: