Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Walkway Marathon: A marathoner is born


As stated previously, I was NOT in favor of rising senior Ricky Willi running the full marathon on Saturday. With a "long" run of 12 miles, and the fact that he is early in his XC training buildup, in fact this made zero sense. However! Ricky got through it, running the first half (too fast, I might add) with Mr. Bucket, before fading over the second half but still having an enjoyable experience. He said already he is looking forward to the marathon next year, when he will be a newly minted graduate. Running marathons in college, when you are trying to be a competitive collegiate runner, is not a smart thing -- if your goal is to be a competitive collegiate runner. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about. But! I think Ricky is no worse for the wear, and hopefully he will springboard this into a positive and memorable senior year. Thanks to Ricky's mom for sharing these photos of Ricky running and of his celebrating his 26.2-mile accomplishment. Nicely done. No. Really!

No comments: